Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 06:49 PM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by bdschafer View Post
She also lives in that area. What she would like to know is where she could take the the machine to have it looked at. The regular shops don't want to work on the older machines.
I would be willing to look at it and see if I could help get it running again.

Is it a sentimental machine? Is it a machine that she has used for a while?
What are the symptoms? Did it stop stitching in the middle of a project? Has it been sitting for a while and when took it out, it wasn't working? Did it break a needle while sewing? If it broke a needle what kind of material was being used? If so is it something she wants to sew on a regular basis? Are the stitches bad? Is it that she can't move the dials to do decorative stitches? Or if can move dials does it not make the stitches? Is it skipping stitches? Is it that she can't bring up the bobbin thread? If can bring up the bobbin thread - does it not make any stitches? Has she cleaned the bobbin area? Has she oiled the machine?

I have only taken one machine into a shop and that was in the early 90s. It was my 1471 Pfaff. It wasn't a problem, it was just that I was told I should take it in once a year. That was the only time I took it in. I have been able to maintain it myself and it is still running. So, I personally cannot recommend someone to take it to.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.