View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 PM
SewingSew

I have an oval-shaped Oster steamer that cooks rice and I wouldn't want to be without it. I steam chicken, rice, asparagus, ham, cabbage, and potatoes, corn-on-the-cob, "boiled" eggs, etc. I've had it for about 15 years now. I also have another kind of steamer that has a non-stick pot that fits inside and I make rice pilaf and enough soup or stew for myself and my husband in it. I think you'll be happy with yours. As with any new small appliance, you just have to experiment with it until you determine your favorite dishes and the right cooking times for your needs. I find that recipes and instructions in the manual are not always accurate. For example, when I made "boiled eggs" in my steamer, I had to toss out a dozen eggs because the cooking time from the manual was inaccurate. After an adjustment to the cooking time, the eggs turned out perfectly. Another thing that I like to cook in my steamer is salmon. I add lemon juice and dill, cook it 24 minutes, and it is excellent! You will find that it is the perfect and healthy way to cook meals for one or two people. It doesn't heat up your kitchen, and it is easy on your electric bill. And it is easy-peasy to prepare a hearty meal quickly.