Old 12-30-2016, 08:02 AM
klswift

So sorry for your loss. It would probably please your mom that you are trying to learn how to sew. Get on the computer. You will find user manuals for your machine. I would suggest either purchasing one or downloading certain pages for reference. The Craftsy classes are great (make sure you sign up for emails and then get the notice of 50% of classes). You will have this class on your computer forever and can go back to it as often as you like. They also have tons of patterns free and for low cost. 2 things I tell my students about threading their machine - I use the analogy of kids going to school. They always go forward, they may make a bunch of side trips, but it is always in a forward push. So, your thread will always be going toward the needle even if it goes up and down and around. I have yet to find a machine that this doesn't work with. Then, if you have a 'bird's nest' with your thread above the fabric, there is a problem with your bobbin. If the 'bird's nest' is below the fabric, the problem is with your upper threading. That is very simplistic, but usually true. If the thread is unthreading, try pulling a much longer starter piece out and hold it. Don't jump right into a project. Take an afternoon, a piece of cloth (old sheets are great for this) and just play. Get comfortable with the machine, with your speed, your tension - play! You could be starting up a wonderful relationship if you keep it fun. It can be very easy to get frustrated in the beginning. Reminder, we all have horror stories about our first projects - it gets better and can be unbelievably rewarding. And, the only silly questions are those not asked. Ask for help whenever you want, we will always try to help you and encourage you. Somebody did it for us and we are happy to help you.