Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
sunkistmi

I took a class and made one of these baskets. It won a blue ribbon at our Michigan State Fair in August. It was really fun although my hands and wrist were sore by the time I was finished (I have RA). It is a project that can be used with really ugly fabric, you know that fabric that looked good when you bought it but got home and you wondered "why in the heck did I buy this?". One of the participants in the class had some of the worst fabric I have ever seen and the basket was beautiful. I'll try to have DH help me to post some pictures. Hardest part was trying to find the right clothesline to wrap. I found it at the quilt store where I took the class. I had tried at our local hardware store, Home Depot, and Lowes and they did not have the right diameter. There was just an episode of America Sews with Nancy Hauseman this last Saturday that showed how to make them with smooth edges instead of the ragged ones. It is a much cleaner look. The website is Americasews.com, it was episode 2801. They are really fun and once you do one, you're hooked! Good luck.
Wendy