View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 10:11 AM
quiltingcandy

In April of 1987 I decided it was time to quit smoking. I had promised myself if cigarettes ever got to $1.00 a pack I would quit. It was a hard year too due to three deaths in the family. My DH and I were invited to a New Year's Eve and 21st Birthday Party at the Hotel Del Coronado. I agreed to go only if we got a room and spent the night because I knew we would both be drinking. So my DH agreed. We got all dressed up, went to the event and the majority of the music was rap. I didn't know at the time what rap does to me, but I was getting more and more upset. I thought maybe it was because I wanted a cigarette (smoking and drinking seems to go well together). So I went to the gift shop and bought a pack - it was $1.80 - so I was upset that I had promised myself to never pay more than $1.00. Smoked one cigarette and still didn't relax, walked the hotel for a while, which is a wonderful place to visit. Went to the room and rested a bit, felt better, went back to the party, and it started all over again. I looked at the cigarettes in my purse, was disgusted by the music and all the drunk people, threw away the expensive pack, and once it struck midnight returned to the room. That was my very last cigarette that night. Every time since that year I get a cold I thank God for helping me quit, it was the best thing I ever did.