View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltruth
Originally Posted by Prism99
Is this knit polyester fabric? The kind that is relatively heavy (compared to quilting cottons)? This would be the kind of fabric knit pantsuits were made of in the 70s.

Or is it the kind of polyester fabric that is about the same weight as quilting cotton?
It is the relatively heavy polyester that pantsuits and skirts were made from in the 70s.
I've heard that that material wears like iron. Really! Indestructible stuff. The hardest part is making the quilt because of its tendency to stretch. Once the quilt is made, it lasts forever.

I like the idea of spray basting to keep the quilt sandwich stable.

I would also experiment with heavily starching the knit fabric to see if that would stabilize the top also. I heavily starch my backing fabrics by mixing a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo laundry starch and water, "painting" on the solution with a large wall painting brush, drying in the dryer (for a pieced top I would probably lay it flat somewhere to dry), then iron (not sure if I would want to iron a top made of the heavy knit fabrics; would have to experiment to see).

Anything you can do to keep the knit fabrics from stretching while you put the top together will help. Starch and spray basting come out of the quilt with its first washing.