View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 12:09 PM
Kwiltr

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
I could be completely wrong but when I hear "chemo quilt" I envision some using the quilt while receiving chemotherapy. I recently took a family member to a local oncology practice for infusion (not chemo but nearly everyone else there was receiving chemo). It was on the Tuesday after Christmas. The center was closed on Monday so there were a lot of patients on this particular Tuesday. I assume this treatment facility is arranged like most others. One side of the area was tinted window so it is bright and the area, though large, wasn't crowded. I didn't count, but there are at least 50 "stations" with one recliner for the patient and one side chair for a friend or family member. Because of the holiday this place was packed! My niece said she had never seen it so crowded. Now to the point of my comment: At least 90% of the patients were women. Not that a man wouldn't appreciate a quilt. I saw no "chemo quilts". On one end of the room there is a coffee station, and a table where jigsaw puzzles are worked. To one side of the table there are two warmers. They hold the cotton blankets that are warming and waiting for use by the patients. During our time there my niece asked twice for a warm blanket as it was particularly chilly in the therapy room that day. Looks like I'm in the same boat with Kwiltr. I don't know what a "chemo" quilt is. From my recent experience I don't think it's to be taken litterally as I did! I will be interested to hear your replies to Kwiltr,too.
I have no first hand experience in visiting a chemotherapy room/ward. I only have a sense from ready other posts that a blanket or quilt is welcome in these situations for warmth while receiving treatment, but never thought beyond that, so now with it being a little closer to home, wanted to get a better idea of what people do and what might be needed or appreciated before I go off on the wrong path. It appears in this situation, it'll be surgery and radiation, so I'm thinking a quilt to cuddle under at home while recovering will be what I aim for right now. Thank you all for your input.