View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 05:06 AM
rryder

If your machine has a small throat, that will limit what you can do with a frame because the quilt gets rolled up on the rail that goes in the throats and fills that space. I have done Fmq for a number of years without a frame but thought it would be fun to try the Flynn frame. I found that I the machine I was using at the time which had a standard 7" from the needle to the tower quickly got filled by the rolled quilt so I could only do edge to edge patterns that were 1" or 2" wide and doing any type of focal motif was not possible. Plus, the frame as shipped will only handle a smallish lap quilt. You have to add longer rods to do anything bigger.

On the same machine if I Fmq without the frame I can quilt any size motif or pattern I want since I can "puddle" my quilt rather than rolling it and I have quilted a queen sized quilt on it.

That's why I decided that the Flynn frame was a waste of my money. Now I use the PQ1500s with its 9" throat for my main quilter, but The Flynn frame would still be too limiting In my opinion because you would still lose a lot of valuable quilting space due to the space taken up by the inside bar with the quilt rolled up on it.

just depends on what you want to quilt.

Rob