Old 01-02-2017, 12:43 PM
joe'smom

Here are the results of my mornings experimentations. I've realized that one thing I really like about Bonnie's color placement is what I'm calling the dagger effect I see in the middle of her block. It reminds me of a fleur de lis and strikes me as very French, so I want to keep that. After experimenting, I've concluded that that effect depends on the placement of the yellow. You don't get it if you put neutrals there, which I've seen some people doing, and you don't get it if you put a darker color there.

The other thing I was working on was wanting to see the green better; my eye is having trouble picking it out from a short distance. So I tried replacing the lavender in the QST with a lighter green. I found that I needed a dark center if I used the light green. For this QST/center, I used a fabric that I didn't use in the clue #3 units because I thought it was too dark for a lavender and too light for a purple. I may still try the QST with my regular lavenders, just to cover all the bases.

I've made my pictures smaller because at this point I need to see things from a distance. The first photo is the closest to Bonnie's, with a darker lavender in the QST and a single square neutral in the center. The next photo moves the yellow out of the block. The third photo is the green QST with the dark center.
Attached Thumbnails imgp2531_fotor.jpg   imgp2532_fotor.jpg   imgp2535_fotor.jpg