View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 09:31 AM
DogHouseMom

Pretty top! Congratulations!

Please please please ... do yourself a big favor and make some practice sandwiches (12" X 12" is sufficient) using the same fabric weight, same batting, same thread, and same needle size that you plan on using on the quilt. then practice the quilting design on the practice sandwiches.

I'm an intermediate/experienced quilter and I still make a practice sandwich with same fabric/batting/thread/needle combo with every quilt ... and every quilt design (if multiple designs/threads on a single quilt).

the sandwiches help me work in "muscle memory" for the quilt design, and even more important - it helps me work out tension/needle size issues on the practice sandwich before I make a mistake on my quilt.

Also, if the practice sandwich shows that you have "issues" or "changes" that you would like to make ... make ONE change at a time only. For example; your thread is breaking a lot. Change one thing at a time ... re-thread the machine completely - test sew. Change the needle - test sew. Change thread - test sew. Change tension - test sew. And so on, until you have eliminated the problem. Every combination of fabric/batting/thread/needle/top tension/bottom tension can change the final outcome.