View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM
SewingSew

Default Diet and Nutrition

My daughter is a nutritionist with the health department. In her senior year in college, she came home one day and said, "Mom, I want to thank you for the diet choices you made for me growing up. Because of you I have a well developed gut." Apparently she was one of the only students in her food science class who had been raised eating a lot of dried beans. I also had kept yogurt in the fridge, and she had a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. It warmed my heart that she recognized the benefits of the nutrition that I had tried to expose her to. I had been raised the same way but didn't comprehend how healthy much of our diet was until I had to study nutrition in nursing school. To be fair, as southerners we also ate too much saturated fat, and our deserts were rich (mine still are.) We weren't perfect, but our diets were nutrient dense, and beans were an important part of that diet.

Here is a link explaining the benefit of legumes:
https://breakingmuscle.com/fuel/5-re...d-eating-beans

How many of you are vegetarians and eat a legume rich diet? I am not a vegetarian, but do believe in the benefits of such a diet. I think a vegetarian meal 3 or 4 times a week is a healthful goal. What do you think?