Thread: Choosing colors
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Yvonne

Norah,
I took a 'color' class at a local quilt shop early on. It really did help. They used a book by Gai Perry, Color From the Heart, to teach the class. We made 5 different quilts during the class. One thing I learned while looking for a specific green, "All greens go together!" The teacher was adament about this. Same for red, blue, etc. Don't limit yourself.
It was suggested that you add a little yellow and/or turquoise for a bit of spark to your quilt. It's amazing how those two colors can really jazz up a bland project.
Later I also signed up for some drawing classes for the same reason. I just felt that I wanted to see what others had to say about color.
Finally, I think your 'color style' will develope as you make more and more quilts. I used to ask others for their opinion but find I do it less and less now. I know what I want and what I like.
Oh, one other project from the color class that really helped was to chose a picture or an item that you really like and then use the colors you see there to build your color pallet for a quilt.
I own a color wheel and it does help also.
Bottom line, just keep experimenting. There is no such thing as a bad color combination. Do you remember the saying "blue and green should never be seen?" Blue and green make a beautiful combination in my opinion. Thank goodness we got over that 'rule'!!!! :lol: