View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 01:17 PM
loisf

I don't mean to sound like I know everything about scrap organization. I don't. But I can tell you what helped me. I had read Bonnie Hunter's scrap organization system, but I was always hesitant to do it. I didn't want to cut fabric into small random-sized pieces, because I might need them for something else. So the first thing I did was to decide on a couple of quilt patterns that I liked and wanted to try, and then I started cutting those sizes. I thought scrappy log cabins were cool, so I started cutting 1.5" strips for them in lengths from 2.5" to 12.5". (I personally like to make log cabins with precut lengths, but I know many people use long strips and cut as they assemble, so that would work too.) I also like one of Bonnie's patterns called Star-Struck, which required 2.5" squares and strips, so I started cutting those sizes when possible. I had a bunch of left-over binding strips (I use 2.25" widths), so I cut them down to 2" widths which are more useable. Years ago, I had started cutting 1.5" squares out of tiny pieces that wouldn't work for anything else for a "someday" postage stamp quilt. I also found Bonnie's pattern String-X which uses strings at least 5" long, so I kept anything less than 1.5" and at least 5" long. I kept anything that could be folded (usually at least 1/8 yard) and sorted them in drawers by color. I knew a lot of folks would consider them scraps and cut them up, but I couldn't do that. To me, they were still yardage. I threw the tiny bits into a bag to give to someone I know who uses it for dog beds or appliqué. Now I had a plan in place for these organized scraps, so I started sewing.

I am not one who likes totally random scrappies, but log cabins work for me, maybe because you still organize by lights and darks. Sandrea, I used fabric from all 50 of the quilts I have made in those scrappy log cabins. I'm here to tell you that anything works, from Asian fabric to civil war prints. The Star-Struck quilt that I'm making from the 2.5" squares and strips is quite color-controlled. Therefore, I'm using only the appropriate-color neutral, brown and red scraps and also using other fabrics from my stash.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565017[/ATTACH]
I don't know that I'll ever do any other totally random scrappies, but you can do a lot with log cabins. Anyway, that's my story. All those messy scraps were driving me crazy, so I feel so much better now.
Attached Thumbnails img_1967.jpg  

Last edited by loisf; 01-05-2017 at 01:20 PM.