View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 10:03 PM
RotaryQueen

Default Morse Fotomatic IV 4400 repair

I was so thrilled to find, not one but two!, blue and chrome Morse 4400 on Craigslist for $25. Long story on the history of the machine. One was said to need a tune-up, and one is for parts. I have not attempted to plug in either, the parts machine came with a bag of parts that had already been removed (I can see the needlebar, presser bar, nose piece, lid and assorted bits and screws) but both have Morse motors. Here is the thing, both are frozen at the buttonhole selector. The "beauty" machine is also frozen at the stitch selector and the reverse button is not in the right position. I have taken the lids off and set up side by side to oil and compare action. Although I have the manual and an exploded parts sheet, I am still doing a lot of guessing. I now have the stitch selector and buttonhole rachet moving on the good machine (using lots of oil and a little PB50). Got some Tri-flow in today and oiled moving parts sparingly, mostly on parts machine. Here is the initial picture of Beauty showing the reverse button locked in and the buttonhole lever in the wrong position (discovered that both selection levers work as rachets):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565238[/ATTACH]
Here are my questions:
The main stitch cam is covered with shiny brown goo. Is this grease? should there be grease on a stitch cam? If not grease, could it be break down from contact with oil?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565239[/ATTACH]
and here is a picture of the same cam from the Beast:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565240[/ATTACH]
Has anyone had a functional Morse with such a badly cracked cam?
Of course, my fantasy is to get both machines up and running. So far, I don't see parts that need to be replaced on Beauty, but I haven't gotten down to where the spring is on the reverse lever to determine if that is why reverse is not engaging properly.
This is scary! But I don't have a lot invested and I am documenting as I go, so it is worth a shot!!
I would love any advice or input.
Attached Thumbnails start-medium-.jpg   p1020682.jpg   p1020683.jpg