Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 PM
joe'smom

[QUOTE=audsgirl;7739146]
Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
That is my problem, my sewing room is too small for me to get far enough away LOL!

I agree, Quilting Vagabond. It is so busy, and I don't as yet see the point of the hourglass blocks with the yellow. Is everyone using Bonnie's pressing plan? It seems backwards to me, so I'm doing it the opposite way. Also, I'm assembling each block with the borders attached before I sew the blocks together. I have 4 blocks done and am now working on the borders for them and will then sew them into the top row. I don't like the idea of handling a long, skinny strip and sewing it to a huge quilt center.

Leslie
It makes sense to add the borders as you go along. Maybe I'll do that, too.

I was confused about the yellow QST units, too. I spent an entire day experimenting and tried all sorts of different substitutions for that unit, which gave me an understanding of its function. I believe the unit is about connecting the blocks to one another for flow (the purple 4-patch), but also creating a separation (the green and yellow), because when the blocks are entirely connected using all purple, they look very massive and you lose the circular effect. The green and yellow also liven things up amidst all of that purple.