View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 06:35 AM
mountainwoman

What a great idea! I do have a computer program I bought as a Christmas present to myself (I chose QuiltPro, as opposed to Electric Quilt 7) and have been very happy with it; I especially love that I am able to scan my own fabrics in and use them in whatever design/layout I've chosen. STILL,I think I'd like to take what I see there and transpose it to a design wall. I work with a lot of precuts that come in layer cakes, charm packs, and my ever-popular "Jolly Bars," which are 5'X10" coordinating cuts from Moda (available only through Fat Quarter Shop), and as such, there can be as many as 10 different fabrics in one set.

I have a question about how to create a design wall. One, I'm not sure the closet doors will work. They are 36" wide, but they are the type that fold open. Wouldn't this be a problem? If so, I still have a couple of other options: As I enter the vanity area of the en suite (like an entryway, sort of), there is one solid wall that is 46" wide; the opposite wall is 33" wide. There's plenty of room to move around, so would either of these walls work? HOW BIG SHOULD A DESIGN WALL BE, ANYWAY? I suppose I could also use the wall that's behind the bedroom entry door -except there is a light fixture there (it is 36"). Hum...biggest space is clearly the wall that is 46" wide.

You said to use fleece. I guess I've never seen or read about how to do this. Is this put up to stay permanently/semi-permanently? How do I adhere it to the wall? Is fleece better than felt? I even read that one can use batting, but I just didn't see that one working!

Well, this is an EXCITING idea you have suggested, and I would really like to try it, so I hope you (and anyone else out there reading this post) as to which of my areas described above would work best for my design wall, which medium to use, and how to affix it.

Thank you so much for this suggestion!

When life gives you scraps, make a quilt!