Thread: making yougert
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM
vjengels

I make yogurt all the time! It's very easy, and cost so much less! It all started when I wanted to have greek style yogurt and the cost was 4.89 a lb!That's 1.22 a serving!!!! a gallon of fat free milk costs 1.50.
Okay here's what you need:
1 deep pot, with lid to fit ( like a stock pot) for the milk, 1 gallon.
1 bigger, deeper pot for the pot of milk to fit into along with water ( double boiler)
candy thermometer,
LOTS of ice, use outside ice if you live in the colder climes.... ( I use those freeze pops.( otter pops)..you just re-freeze them,)
heavy bath towel ( complete covers your stock pot)
heating pad
1 gallon of fat free milk ( not skim, it makes it grainy...)
1 6 oz. container of PLAIN yogurt with active cultures, no sweeteners, no flavors.
Here's how you make it:
put enough water in the largest kettle to come halfway up the stockpot ( full of milk) but not enough to make it float , or you'll lose all your hard work.
put both kettles on the stove, clip the thermometer on the inside of the kettle with the milk in it; I use high heat, because I'm inpatient, stirring occasionally, bring to 180*.
fill your sink half full COLD water, place kettle of 180* milk in the water, add ice, bring temperature to 110*, take 8 oz of your awrmed milk and add the yogurt to it to temper it, pour tempered yogurt back in to 110* milk, stir until combned.
place stockpot on heating pad, cover with the lid and the towel, wrapping the towel around the kettle to completely cover it. turn the heating pad on and leave undisturbed for 6-12 hours, depending on how tangy you like your yogurt.
Refrigerate for up to 14 days, if your frig is very cold it'll keep a little longer..
I like to strain it through a clean muslin bag hanging from the cupboard for 2 hours or so,with a bowl under it; I like it very thick, like cheese.
Add your own mix ins, and Viola' . Good luck!