View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 09:29 PM
maviskw

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
Please explain what a King Cake is for us "westerners". :-)
I explained a little in my original post. At Mardi Gras, which is the time period between the 12th day of Christmas (January 6) to the day before Ash Wednesday, there is a lot of celebrating going on in New Orleans. There are parades almost every day, and some days more than one. You can get a booklet in which the parades are listed, the days they will be held, the time and the route. The closer you get to Fat Tuesday (the day before Ash Wednesday), the more and longer are the parades. People on the parade wagons toss beads and other trinkets to the bystanders.
Later in the day, there are parties. It can get pretty wild. I don't know who starts it, but there is always a king cake at the party. It is basically a sweet roll dough formed in a large circle on a cookie sheet. I found lots of recipes for that on the net. The baby can be baked in the cake or can be inserted from the bottom after it is baked. The cake is then served, and the one who finds the baby in their piece is the one to host the next Mardi Gras party.
They used to use a bean or a pecan but found that sometimes they were eaten and not noticed. No one is going to eat that plastic baby.
Mardi Gras ends Tuesday at midnight. The next day everyone goes to confession.