Thread: April - Boom 18
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 03:25 PM
mjpEncinitas

joanelizbay

I'm an exercise physiologist with masters degrees in kinesiology, neurobiology/motorcontrol and electical engineering EE (EE has nothing to do with your problem but it sounds good, doesn't it?). I did a search for credible articles about this. Here is the best one. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4444610/
They do a good job of summarizing in layman's terms:
Core tip: Current surgical techniques in rotator cuff repair do not achieve good tendon-to-bone healing. The use of stem cells to improve healing is a promising alternative. Different in vivo animal studies have shown good results in achieving restoration of the native enthesis. However, human studies are scarce so the use of stem cell therapy in rotator cuff repair should still be considered and experimental technique. Further basic and clinical research is needed.

If I were a professional athlete and I had a career ending rotator cuff injury and had tried the more traditional alternatives I would consider this treatment. Otherwise it would be a cold day in hell before I did this. List of things to try first:
1. Physical therapy
2. Physical therapy with a different physical therapist.
3. Traditional surgery.

Good luck, I wish I could make you better.