View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 07:08 AM
sewannie

Default Help with first quilt

Hello all, I'm sewing my first quilt following a printed pattern. I have sewn all of my blocks and I'm to the point where I am to cut my borders. I've searched here and found some great information regarding borders and how to measure for them. The pattern is telling me what size to cut my borders. Everything I have read says to measure your quilt in 3 places and take an average and begin pinning in the middle and the ends and ease in between. The quilt top has borders all the way around and once that is done then you can quilt it in any way you wish. My question is, do I need to square my quilt top that is completed so far, before I add these borders? Or do I only square up after the quilt top has been quilted? There is so much to learn about quilting! This first quilt has sashing in between the blocks and in between the rows. I began sewing them together and didn't realize that I needed to make sure that my sashing in between my blocks and every other row needed to be lined up. I only had to redo a seam once or twice. All in all, I'm pleased with the way it looks. Once I'm done, I'll be sure to post a picture. Thanks for your help!