Thread: March - Boom 18
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM
All2Pieces

Originally Posted by jlt37869 View Post
A few (newbie) Boom questions:

1) Seam pressing. Any rules? I typically press to the side. If anyone wants their seams pressed open, please let me know.
2) Thread color/brand. Any specific rules? I usually use Gutermann 100% cotton in neutrals such as tan or gray.
3) How do we avoid duplicate blocks within the group or is that not a concern? For example, I am making a paper pinwheel block for All2piece's GD. When/where do we post photos of our blocks?

Thanks!
JLT, how exciting! Yea!! for the pinwheel! She likes blocks that "show" movement. Thanks very much.
As others have said, press the fabric as you see fit as you sew.
Neutral or matching threads work best, whichever you have loaded on your machine. I would hate for you to have to load a bobbin with, say... aqua, if you only have a small bit to sew with that color. I use 100% cotton or cotton/poly all purpose thread.
Duplicate blocks within a quilt aren't normally an issue because the fabric speaks to each of us differently. Even then, I have different fabric in my stash than someone else. Sometimes people send two fabrics out in a package to make their blocks. That's the rare occasion when duplicate blocks might happen, and the photos help prevent it. It wouldn't bother me at all to receive multiple blocks of the same pattern.
Sometimes we create the same block for several of the swappers, i.e., Box Kite or Pinwheel for multiple people. Each block looks different depending on that swapper's fabric.

Janice does an excellent job keeping us straight. It is very time consuming to transfer all the photos to a second site. I really appreciate the galleries she puts together. With approximately 40 blocks to swap between these 2 BOOMs I know I'll have to refer to the galleries now and again.
I have trouble resizing photos to fit this board. Sometimes I have to use my camera, sometimes my tablet, and I may even try my new phone this time. Just do your best, and post the blocks as you finish them to this forum so we can all see.

Sorry if this post is too long. Can't wait to see the new creations! Cheers!