View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 AM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by vicki reno
There is a method if I could remember it, to sew them by machine. I think if you sew them end (the hexagons) end to end and have rows of them, then technically you should be able to attach the rows by machine. You would be doing like zig zaging but not stitching but the rows should look like a giant zig zag or giant rick rack. Am I making sense? If I could draw it I could explain better. I am sorry. Hopefully someone else can explain it better :)
machine piecing hexagons isn't as easy as that, whether you go in circles or make rows.

you can sew end to end at first to make either rows or columns, but it gets a bit trickier after that. it's actually a series of Y-seams.

doing in circles is all Y-Seams. if i can figure out how to illustrate and/or describe it, i'll post something tomorrow - unless somebody else has a magic system. (which would be sooooooooooo kewl! :-))

i usually do hexagons by hand. i use the smalles running stitches i can - as though i was hand-quilting. believe it or not, once you hit a rythym it isn't a whole lot slower than doing it by machine. and it's a great take along to the TV or appointments that keep you waiting. it's kinda Zen.