Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
pittsburgpam

I am single and in the second home I bought as a single woman. The first one was 30 years old and had new roof, heating and air so the "bones" were good. I did all the interior upgrades by myself from laying Pergo wood floors in the kitchen, living room, dining room, entryway and hallway. I re-tiled the bathroom floor, sanded and painted the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, installed wainscot, chair rail, crown moulding and baseboards. Painted the entire inside too. I had new carpet installed in the living room and 3 bedrooms. It was a learning experience but I was married to a general contractor for 20 years so I knew a little about a lot of things. I just bought myself the power tools I needed and went for it. It came out great and in 3 years I sold it for a clear profit of over $100k.

The next house, where I live now, I bought before it was built so I haven't had to do much to it except paint, some moulding, replacing builder grade light fixtures, etc. I landscaped the back yard by myself including building a 8' x 20' deck BY MYSELF using a floating deck system. I take care of everything inside and out and if I don't know how to, I sure know how to search the net for advice.

I'm at the point now where I am not thrilled about doing those things a whole lot and I am looking forward to downsizing someday. Maybe a nice condo or townhome with a small garden area and a LARGE greatroom that I can make a sewing room.