Thread: Did you know?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 01:23 PM
DogHouseMom

I've replaced the regular bulbs on my front porch with daylight LED's and WOW. I don't remember the brand. I live in the middle of no-where, no other lights around, just woods to the front, back and south side, and a valley to the north. When I come up the road from the valley I can see my porch well lit from 1/4 mile away. Welcoming!!

A friend of mine installed the Phillips Hue lights in some rooms in her house. These are the "smart lights" that when purchased in combination with the "bridge" and a free smart-phone ap, you can control your lights from the bridge, or from your smart phone - including dimming lights. My friend programs some lights to turn on 10 minutes before she arrives home, other lights to go on-off when they are out, but most of all ... she programmed her bedroom light to start at a low dim then gradually rise to full brightness over a period of time as a "sunrise simulator". She used to have a "sunrise simulator" alarm clock but it broke - instead of replacing that, she went with the Phillips Hue system. You can even change the color of the bulbs!!

The starter kits (bridge and 3 bulbs) are $200, a dimming device is $35, and the individual bulbs are $30.00 ea. Very pricey start up cost, but if they last a lifetime ... might be looking into as there are so many more things you can do with them.