Old 01-29-2017, 02:09 PM
DonnaC

Default Need some help...determining value (of fabric colors, that is!)

Hello folks! I' trying to do the Nancy Zieman fat quarter mystery quilt this year, which requires a group of 24 fat quarters. (Details are at her blog: http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quil...-of-the-month/). Of course, she'd like everyone to use her new fabric line, but I'm on a fabric buying moratorium so I'm trying to use my stash.

I had one collection in my stash that had enough FQ's of fabric to make the mystery; it's called "Freshcut" by Heather Bailey. However, when I look at this collection through my value finders (I've tried both the red one and the green one), I just see one fabric value - medium. Nancy says you need a collection of darks and lights in order to make the block "pop", which makes perfect sense. But determining fabric value has always been a huge challenge for me... which is why I end up making a lot of monochromatic projects with different values of one color, because even I can tell a dark blue from a light blue...LOL.

Can you folks take a look at the picture of this FQ collection and tell me your opinions? I don't want to go through making all these blocks and it just ends up looking like one big blob with no contrast. Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails swn-mystery-fabrics.jpg