Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 PM
ConnieF

I was told a long time ago figure what it cost you to make the item, then x's it by 3 and add some for labor. A lot of people who do not quilt or even sew are floored but they have no ideal how much we spent on equipment to make it + all the threads and scissors and cutting tool's and rulers. The pattern and pre washing the fabrics and pressing and the list goes on.... I use to give things away to cheep. You figure the retail price as if you'd do another one weather you do or not. Fro what if you make one a quilt for say $350.00 and someone else wants the same thing and you bought the fabs/bat etc on sale.... ahhhh now you would be making it for nothing. There are a lot of things you can't get a wage for but if you do a lot you can make it up on smaller things. I figure if I cant make a minm of $10.00 and hour I will not do it. I have charged $25 and hour and it seamed to be no big deal the person. When I did wedding dresses I charged 3 x's the materials and I had them pay for it all. and a mini of $300 down before I would even start and it was a fifty doll measure to do the pattern. Don't give yourself away. I have just done some things because I wanted to for a certain person but only then. Hope this helps....Connie