View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 06:25 AM
waltonalice

I'm attending a class for Westalee rulers on Saturday in Ithaca, NY (Quilters Corner), because I want to be sure that I'm installing the foot correctly and that I use the correct settings for my machine. It will also be good to get helpful hints if I start making mistakes. I've watched demonstrations at this store for a few minutes at a time, while I've been shopping there, and I've spent about 2 hours watching Westalee videos. I'm very confident, although I'm awful at FMQ, that I can master this tool. Twoxover, I'm not sure from your description if you'd be watching a demonstration or actually using the tools (foot and ruler). If it's "just" a demonstration by an expert, find out if they will allow you to try using the tools during the demonstration. If the answer is yes, then I'd watch a couple of the UTube deomonstrations before you go, so that you can get a feel for all the wonderful things that these rulers can help you do (for inspiration). My quilt shop has a set of the rulers on sale every month or two at a discount, but the foot and rulers are expensive, as several have pointed out. My next-door neighbor and I are planning on sharing the feet now that we're taking a class. Lastly, there is an excellent, though lengthy, Craftsy course which tells you "everything" you need to know, starting from selecting the correct foot, to installing it, etc. I've watched and taken notes from the first three lessons, which has given me the inspiration to take the class this weekend. Good luck - and I hope that you and NJ Quilter and I can let the group know how we did at our respective classes/introductions.