View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 AM
ladydukes

Default Singer 301 Question

I have a friend who sews commercial grade webbing into a criss-cross type pattern for a project. She generally uses her Singer 201 to sew it, but she recently acquired a Singer 301. She said that after sewing awhile on the Singer 301, it will stall. She brought it over and my DH went through the machine, cleaned it and did a few things to it. Afterwards, I folded some heavy duty fabric several times and sewed with it and had no issues. When she took it home to sew the webbing, after about an hour it stalled. I told her to increase the tension on top of the machine and try it again, and if it still stalled, increase the tension more and try it again and keep increasing the tension on top of the machine and sewing to see if that could be the problem.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing the machine to stall? Is a Singer 301 heavy duty enough for this type of sewing? She has never had an issue sewing the webbing with her Singer 201. Also, are there any machines that you would recommend that she should consider purchasing to sew the webbing? She totally prefers to sew with vintage machines because they are true work horses.