Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 AM
fireworkslover

Originally Posted by burnsk
Originally Posted by cutebuns
the biggest thing is that you don't want to hit the repeat evenly, you want to see mainly one color in some of the blocks, there really isn't a magic formula, it depends on how much of the print that you want to see in each block. it really depends on what you want to see in each of the pieces. obviously there is advantages to cutting bigger blocks like less sewing, the smaller ones can make it easier to have similar or close to the same blocks.
Hey - I understand what you just said, even at this hour. :-) that'll help me figure out the size by watching how the colors fall together. Does it help sometimes, when you're cutting your second "pile" of repeats to cut of a small strip off and stagger the point that you're using for the repeat point? Did that make sense? I know it probably creates some waste but is it worth it for the final results?
If it looks like you'll be cutting the same triangle, then yes, trim off even only 1/4" from the cut you just made, before cutting your next triangle. Then the rest of that strip you cut into triangles, will be different from the last strip you cut. Just changing that little bit will make a different pattern for each hex, in the end.