View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Sleepy Hollow

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I bought the spoon for hand quilting and also have not been able to do it. I quilt in a hoop and just found it awkward and that I wanted my hand free, not holding something. Well, I was reading Jenny Beyer's site and she talked about watching an older lady quilt and she was fast and her stitches small and she used a QUARTER on her bottom hand. I tried it and I love it. I tape (with painter's tape) the quarter on the bottom of the thumb so it extends about 1/4" beyond the tip of the finger. When the needle hits the quarter, I pull back a little and make the stitch and repeat. It is important to have your fabric loose enough in the hoop. I have it so that you can indent it about 2". You will know if it is not loose enough because you will not be able to make small stitches.
The quarter is a creative solution to a problem!

Someone suggested a spoon to me when they saw I had the Aunt Becky, but I haven't tried it. Pretty much for the same reason--I don't want to have to hold something. I can move the A.B. around to different positions, fingers/thumb easily, and I don't feel like my hand is going to cramp up holding something. I'll remember the quarter trick though, in case I ever find myself without my A.B.!