Old 02-03-2017, 09:10 PM
quiltedsunshine

I've been a tech for 7 years and I still learn something new every day. There are so many machine models and all the machines that have been made for the past 100+ years, there's always something different. I've been to Bernina University, but you don't get much from PowerPoint presentations. When the assistant tech retired, the Boss asked me if I'd like to learn, because I told him I had worked on cars in a "different life." The best way to learn is to become an apprentice to someone. The Boss started learning sewing machine repair at 18 years old, became a motorcycle / snowmobile mechanic, then came back to sewing machines. I don't know how you'd learn all that much in a week or two of training. And most of the new machines are computerized, so that's a whole other world. If I had to jump in and do everything without the Boss to help me, I'd fall on my face. There are so many OSMG's (Old Sewing Machine Guys) that are retiring, because they don't want to deal with computers and cheap plastic machines. And our circle on the map just keeps getting bigger and bigger. People are coming from farther and farther away to get their machines serviced. If you could find one of the OSMG's to train you, it would help all of us -- repair techs and customers. We're a dying breed. You have to be someone who can figure things out. We don't use service manuals, because there's so much that's NOT in the service manuals.