View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 03:08 PM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I am the only member in our household that loves beans but I really enjoy everyone's opinions and suggestions. I soak my navy beans over night and then rinse and put in a crock pot and cook on slow all day. Actually, the beans are better the second and third day! I only add chopped onion and put a ham slice in for flavor. Does anyone use ham or salt pork?
i don't use salty pork anymore, don't know why. i like ham in white beans of any type, tho. especially i love white bean soup. i introduced my hubby to black beans a few years ago ...and now that's all he wants me to make, but there are sooo many wonderful types of beans & i love them all. i BBQ all summer ..a lot of pork & some beef roasts. i make my own seasoning rubs for the most part tho i will use a combo of some over the counter stuff that i mix in various ways. i save the roast bones and and meat scraps ..freeze for beans all winter. i also save the drippings from the roast, i add them to a large empty peanut butter jar i keep in freezer, when it's full i start another jar to fill. usually one jar is good for a 6 qt crockpot of beans. i could eat them 365/6 & did with my son while hubs was away on jobs (construction) ..but hubs doesn't like them that often & considers them winter food. when i make my own seasoning mix i often use crushed chipotle powder. have to be careful ..mil doesn't eat spicey. another idea for flavor ..one of my bean recipe books said that one of the i gredients that makes mexican chile beans so special is that they grate up dark unsweetend chocolate i to the pot & a little cinnemon. i use baking chocolate squares or the mexican style hot chocolate grated into the pot. it's not that sweet but the cinnemon & chocolate is wonderful.