Old 02-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Friday1961

Default Quilting problem and Warm & Natural batting

I'm having a quilting problem, which I think may be caused by the Warm and Natural batting I'm using. This is my first experience with this batting -- have always used polyester -- and it's giving me fits.

I'm quilting on my Brother 450Q Innov'is, usual settings, using a walking foot, All things I've done before with quilts as large as this one -- about 80x80 -- with no problem. But on this one the stitching bunches up, resulting in teeny tiny little miniscule stitches, especially if I get above a slow speed. I've adjusted the tension and the presser foot pressure; that doesn't seem to be the issue. I've even lengthened my stitch and my stitch width -- to 3.5 and 3.5 -- and still no joy. I've finally decided it maybe the weight of the quilt keeping it from moving forward as freely as it should.

My machine is not recessed into a table but sits on top (of my dining room table, not ideal, I know) , so there is a two inch lip the quilt has to "drag" over to get to the needle, and this seems to be enough to keep the fabric from moving forward freely. The quilt does seem unusually heavy but I assume that's because I'm used to the much lighter, less dense, polyester. It is supported everywhere; I don't allow any of it fall off the edge of the table but do have some of it in my lap.

I created a test piece -- same batting, same fabric, same thickness -- stitches are normal and consistent no matter my speed. Then I tried holding back on it, to create some "drag". And, yep, same little bunchy stitches. I did also wonder if the walking foot was not functioning properly, or the feed dogs, but if so, I'd think I'd have the same issues when sewing on the test piece.

I'm wondering if others have had this problem with Warm and Natural batting? Or any heavier batting? Because, while I'm fairly sure the weight is the cause, I'm not one percent certain. I prewashed the batting due to the shrinkage factor, and spray basted the sandwich. Piecing fabric and backing (Kona) are both normal weight cotton.

This quilt, of Union Jack blocks, was a Christmas gift to my Irish daughter in law, and I'm very afraid it's going to end up one hot mess. I've already done more ripping than I care to -- does anyone ever "care" to rip? -- and I'm afraid more is in my future. I am so wishing I'd quilted this by check!