Old 02-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Macybaby

one time I bought a roll, unrolled it, unfolded it and rolled it onto the bar. Will never do that again! It's near impossible to get a look underneath if you have a problem, or to check tension. And unless you are carefull and mark increments, you'll never know just how much you have left on the roll. I wrote a number ever two feet as I was rerolling it, so I knew what I had left.

It was also a drag because I always had a full frame of batting, even if I had a quilt that was 60" wide. I use to try to trim it as I advanced, that was drag one once in a while I'd get off track and cut it in to far . . .
It was a ton of work and took a lot of room and wasn't worth it.

So now I keep the folded roll on a bar hung on the wall, cut off what I need and deal with it that way. And often I cut it and rotate it 90 deg so I only have to cut the shorter dimension to fit the quilt.

At the last class I took, the HQ instructor emphasized that the lower roll is for storage, and you are not to use it to hold batting that you are quilting on. Mostly because you can't flip things up to see what is going on underneath. You also want to make sure you aren't accidentally stretching your batting as you roll the quilt. I would also pull several feet loose so that it had no tension on it when I advanced the quilt.

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-05-2017 at 07:45 AM.