View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 AM
Coodoo

Default Suggestions for used sewing machine

Hi, Just found this great forum. I'm in need of a machine for mending, craft projects, and possibly quilting (when I retire). I would like more of a workhorse type that will work well on heavy fabrics, jeans, etc... This will be my only machine and I would like something that's fairly user friendly, easy to maintain, and stitches well. I think I only need straight and zigzag stitching but not adverse to more options. I have been looking at the ebay and goodwill auctions. There is one on ebay that I could pick in person. It is a Kenmore 1220 Zig Zag. I think it is a technician selling it as they describe that it has been cleaned, adjusted , and lubed. It looks pristine. I think it is from the 70's. Starting bid pretty low right now.

I also have been looking at Viking 6000 series and Pfaff Varimatic 6085. These are more expensive I think.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to find a bargain of course, but I want a nice machine. I am not a beginner, but I have basic skills.

Does anyone have this Kenmore 1220 or something similar? Heard that the older metal Kenmores, like this one, are nice.

Thanks