View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I will often piece units where the seams don't nest (ie pressed in the same direction like yours). You can try different techniques and decide which one works best for you. I would start off with these two. Others may respond with other options.

1. using lots of pins or washable school glue at the critical areas where they line up (like your star points), go ahead and sew them together as is. You will have a lot of bulk where all those seam allowances come together.

2. you can "twist" the seam so they nest at the intersection but I am afraid it may be visible from the top side of the quilt as your white fabric used in the background is already shadowing. sometimes this is less obvious once layered up with the batting.

Edited to add I see one more option. If the placement of light and dark elements in your block is not critical, I would just turn every other block 1/4 turn, then your seams will nest! So instead of a dark point meeting a light point, all dark points will line up.

Edited one more time. You can always add a narrow sash between each block in your background color thus avoiding any need to nest seams

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-10-2017 at 09:26 AM.