View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 10:58 AM
tlpa

I have a cat & dog of my own, and I foster cats and dogs for a local animal shelter. The cats I foster are usually sick, so I keep them separated, but once the fosters are well, I will test to see if my cat will tolerate them roaming around. Only once in the years I have been fostering did he like another cat. I fostered an orange tabby, and my cat took to him immediately, following him around, and basically couldn't get enough of him. It was so cute. Mine is a cream tabby, and I thought perhaps the foster felt like a long lost sibling. I rescued a stray cat and took her to the animal shelter I foster for to see if they would find her a home. They said she was unadoptable due to age and having only a few teeth, so I took her home. I haven't found her a home, so the two have had to adjust. I would separate them when I wasn't home and would keep a close eye on them when I was. The stray still liked to go outside, and mine doesn't, so that helped. It has taken 2 years, and they are now okay together and will occasionally play together. Since you can never tell about personalities, try to have the two meet before adopting. Animal shelters will allow you to bring your cat to the shelter to see if the two make a good fit.