Thread: Recovery Quilt
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 10:58 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
what's 'nemishing' ...

ok ..continue my search. oh ..bethany nemish ..longarm quilter of allentown PA. right? therefore ...'nemishing' must be like McTavishing but named after a different longarm quilter. but tho mctavishing is distinctive, i don't quite see what makes nemishing unique. help? TIA
Well, kinda. Bethanne adapted a quick quilting whimsical feather fill combining feathers with a big comma shaped unit (also called a puff top feather) and an occasional vine and the option of filling in with pebbles or little swirls or a combination. If you google images of nemishing you will see the similarity of the technique. Like handwriting, everyone who does it will look slightly different, like McTavishing. Although I have seen a lot of people call that random back fill McTavishing and it really isn't. Karen McTavish came up with the technique and was using it exclusively. When she first came up with it she called "comic book wonder woman hair" because she was inspired by the way Wonder Woman's hair was drawn in comics. It gained so much popularity that she started teaching it and wrote a book on it. She was told from many on line fans she needs to call it something else and I guess someone came up with McTavishing after her last name. I took a certification class with her and she told us the story about it.

Same with Bethanne Nemish's "Nemishing". She teaches the technique and self published a book on it. Because she needed an easy catch name she chose Nemishing, playing on McTavishing. Bethanne lives in the heart of Pennsylvania dutch country and when she first showed it to her local Amish shop and told them what she called it, the proprietress of the shop said Meshing means Machine and Nem means to sew so it seemed quite an apt name to the Amish. I attended a lecture of Bethanne's and she told this story. Fun.

EmiliasNana, you did a fabulous job on this quilt.