Thread: Metallic thread
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 11:13 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I am thinking you can go with some other option other than Metallic. Metallic thread is weak, like Pennyhal mentioned. It is also a pretty fine thread that may not give you the same "bling" when quilting by hand. Machine quilting forms a solid line of stitching and in cases when metallic is used, it is usually fairly densely quilted.

Many other threads give the appearance of metallic that are more suitable to hand quilting. Glide polyester, especially in some of the shades of gold is very shiny and metallic looking.

Wonderfil makes two products that are much heavier and more well suited to hand quilting and will really show. One is called Dazzle and it is an 8wt Rayon/metallic combo and the other is called Sizzle, also an 8 wt but all metallic. These might be better options for you than your standard metallic meant for machine use. Because they are so heavy they will hold up better to wear and tear. Although Rayons are notorious for fading and not holding color well. I have used Dazzle for some sashiko work and it looks fabulous but I have not subjected the project to any wear and tear. Edited to add for either of these thread you would need to do a "big stitch" quilting technique. For more traditional handquilting I think I would go with a pretty shiny poly instead.