View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 03:38 PM
blahel

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
Default covering wood with fabric question

I have taken over the games room as my sewing room so lucky me. There is however a big elephant in the room, the pool table.
My husband made me a table top for the pool table but the wood is MDF which is a manufactured wood.
It is not a nice colour so first i thought of painting it but discarded that idea as pins would scratch it (we have previously painted and varnished MDF and that scratched easily)
My next thought was that I would glue fabric to it. I have bought the fabric and have researched online and they all recommend Mod Podge.
It is expensive and you have to do multiple coats so we were wondering if PVA wood glue watered down slightly would be a good substitute?
Also they recommend painting the surface of the table once the glue has dried again they recommend mod Podge.
Would you water down the wood glue and use that?
I want a hard surface that is slippery so that i can slide my fabric on. At present the fabric is just laying on the table and it does not allow fabric to slide at all.
Maybe acrylic varnish..would that provide the hard shiny surface I am looking for?