View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 AM
bigsister63

[QUOTE=PaperPrincess;7763126]I like a stop border and usually make it 1/2 to 1" finished. For the next border, I have various methods.
1) The final quilt has to be a certain size, so I add borders to make it that size
2) I only have a limited amount of border fabric left, so that's how big the border is.
3) The border fabric is a print, and I want a particular portion of the print to show.
4) I use the scientific audition method. I sew on the narrow inner border, lay the outer border out & move the quilt back & forth.

I do the same methods. The quilt will tell you what it wants. Often I wait until the end to even decide on what border(s) to use. Just be careful that the borders do not over power the inner blocks of the quilt. I have made border as big as 15" since I like a longer drop on the side of the bed. and to bring up the quilt to size. One quilt I just finished with 2 stop borders and was ready to add the final border when the quilt said "I need another color in the borders". instead of adding another border I did a flange of the accent color. PERFECT!!!!!