Old 02-18-2017, 01:45 PM
monapause

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Nice machine. I will be watching to see what someone comes up with. I have two Jones, one is a fiddlehead treadle with coffin top and the other is a hand machine (that's what is imprinted on the bed of the machine.
I saw a fiddle base treadle one on ebay uk, but because I live in america, I didn't get it because the shipping would have been 4 times what they wanted for the machine. I read that the fiddle base Jones is from the 1870's. I have looked all over online, ismacs, needlebar and many other sites to try to find out how old my Jones is. I got a hand crank recently and she's a beauty. I know that Queen Victoria died in 1901 and then her son Edward the 7th became king and his wife was Alexandria. that's when they added her name to the decal as a marketing tool "a machine fit for a queen". mine is a Family CS, but doesn't say Queen Alexandria on it, so I can only guess that it was made before 1901. I could be wrong for all I know. I'd been wanting a Jones ever since I first saw one back about 25 years ago. a very beat up one here in america will run you about $500. I got my Jones hand crank for only £59!!!! that's $73 here. a friend picked it up for me over there and she mailed it to me. we found the cheapest shipping we could get and that was only $113. I can't believe it only took 2 days to get here from her house in England to my house on the west coast of the states. so, I got my pretty Jones for only $186. the decals are in mint condition, too!