Thread: April - Boom 18
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 03:15 AM
seasaw2mch

Hello Ladies!!!!!
been a long time but I made it back at least for a short time. No promises on how long I can come in but I went to the site where Janice posts the boom blocks and I have to say you all are making some beautiful blocks.

Bad news is that I'm now on hospice and permanently in a wheelchair &/or have to be in bed on my back. I can't use the walker any more because I can't put any weight on my right leg at all. Actually, a few weeks ago I didn't think I would make it this long but I did and now I'm getting much better so I can get up and wheel around a little more.

Two days ago I found out that I can also do some sewing, as long as I keep track of my time & not sit to long I can sew about an hour or 2 per day, I'm good. I just have to split that time up so as not to wear myself out. Thank God for sewing machines that have the push button start & stop because without it I still couldn't sew.

About a month ago, I had to give up my bed for a hospital bed because I had pulled every muscle from my shoulders down the spine and down to the bottom of my right foot. During this time I have learned a lot about hospital beds that I wanted to pass on to all of you that make quilts for hospitals.

The twin size quilts are way to big for those beds. The hospital beds are only 36 inches wide so the extra hang over makes it difficult for any one that has to be in one to move around and get in & out of. I am working on making me a quilt for my hospital bed and the best size I have come up with is 46 inches wide by about 70 inches long. That way they are more suited for getting in & out of the bed as well as not to long that it feels to heavy on the legs or you feel like your strangling yourself around your neck. It is not necessary to have the quilt fold down from the top like most people do on a regular bed, it's to much extra fabric around your neck.

Like I said I'm working on mine right now and if you all don't mind, I will post a picture here when it's done. I've been working on a lay out that uses 15 of the 12 inch blocks with 2 inch sashing between them & an outside boarder of 3 inches. I'm planning on using the blocks that I got back from the boom swaps to make the quilt so I can enjoy everyone's blocks when I have to lay in the bed. I might have to make several of these so I can change them out so I don't miss any ones blocks. They are all so lovely.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi!!!! and will be looking in a little more often. If I get better then maybe I can join in the next Boom. Wish me luck!
Sue