View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 12:42 PM
patricej
Administrator

i totally cheat when it comes to cutting my hexagons. i've tried rotary cutting. close, but never all the same size. i've tried drawing the seam allowances around them using a ruler. closer, but between ever-so-slightly different sizes and shapes and ever-so-slightly different widths (because ... really ... who can get the ruler to line up exactly the same way on all six sides of every stinkin' hex?) it's not only still frustrating, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more work. i'd be 100 before i could ever get to stitch the first two together.

so several years ago, i started using my computer. i draw the hexagons with seam allowances and clipping marks already included. then in print them on the back of the fabric. if i need something so dark the print won't show on the back, i color in the hexagons with color mixes or patterns; treat the fabric with BubbleJetSet, and print my own that way. if i line them up right before i print, i can use the rotary cutter to do most of that part of the job, with just a bit of extra cutting with scissors. (better than just twiddling my thumbs or pushing food into my face while i'm vegging at the TV. LOL)

i will admit it uses up more fabric than if i did it the "proper" way, but they all come out the same size; my seam allowances are perfect; it's easy to match them up for stitching and clipping; and they always look good.

Norah ... have you ever tried printing your hexagons onto freezer paper? since they'll stick to the fabric and stay in place while you press under your seam allowances (and while you stitch them together) you might not get any distortion at all. i've seen that method suggested in a few places. they say they're very easy to get out after you've stitched around them and still in good enough condition to use again.

now that i have EQ6, don't think i won't really, really cheat sometimes and print them out already "sewn together" to just attach in bigger sections and quilt. oh, yes ... i can definitely see that in my sneaky little future. LOL