View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 AM
Peckish

I can't remember the name (or even if it has one) of the one that my group likes to do, but I'll describe it.

You use strips of fabric cut any height by WOF. For instance, 2.5" x 44", 1.5" x 44", 3" x 44", etc. Sew them together into a strata. Cut the strata the same width as height. For instance, if your strata is 10.5" tall by 44" wide, you would cut it into 10.5" by 10.5" inch blocks. You could do any size, but my group liked the 10.5" size because you would get an even number of blocks from 42" or 44" wide fabric.

Next, lay one block down, right side up, with the strips going east-west. Lay another block on top, right side down, with the strips going north-south. Sew around all four sides. Then cut the block into an X. Press open and voila, you have 4 new blocks. We like to sew a strip around all four sides, which then becomes sashing once the top is assembled.

This goes SO fast, you don't need to match points, and you can use scraps. You don't have to use WOF, this technique works with fat quarters also, you just won't get as many blocks. When we all get together for a sew day or retreat, we'll each do one strata and we usually end up with 5 or 6 assembled charity quilt tops within a couple of hours.