Old 02-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Kitsie

I have found and have seen it recommended by some of the "experts" that many of us pull the "layers" too tightly. They (the layers, not the experts!) will want to re-gain their original relaxed state.

In other words (and I have never had a problem since I learned this) lay down the backing, smooth and pat it by hand without stretching so there are no puckers or wrinkles. Spray lightly all over.

I fold the batting and then unfold a bit at a time from one end as I lay it on softly. Very gently smoothing with my hands and PATTING out any soft wrinkles instead of trying to stretch them out. The batting doesn't have to be centered as long as there is extra on all sides.

If you see a major boo-boo that you cannot "fix", pull that layer up from a corner and lay it down gently again. (Love spray basting for that!)

Repeat the same with the top - smooth gently and PAT the wrinkles.

I learned from this NOT to pull the layers tight and, fortunately, have NEVER had problems with folds and wrinkles on the quilt. Then I quilt with a 3.0 stitch - so a bit longer, not tighter than piecing. And my walking foot is always on! Hope this can help you!!

Last edited by Kitsie; 02-23-2017 at 09:38 AM.