Thread: Cheater fabric
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Genden

I like the concept of pre-printed whole cloth for making quilts, especially for bed quilts that will be heavily used and washed. I have begun a search. What I have found is that it is difficult to find quality cotton fabric in the cheater cloth (a term I don't like, but the one we all recognize.) I also find that colors are sometimes dull without crisp definition. Part of the problem is also that a limited number of colors are used which results in a lack of depth. In my search, I have found that vintage cheater cloth can have better colors, crispness, definition and sometimes even better fabric. But the quality vintage pieces are very hard to find in quilt size. They are more common in smaller scrap sizes. I don't see pre-printed bed quilt size cloths designed and manufactured by the mainstream companies like Moda, so fabric quality and design can be assured. Because I don't have a local brick and mortar shop nearby that sells cheater cloth, I have to rely on online shopping. Without actually seeing the fabric in person, I am wary that I will be disappointed with lack of quality. Have any of you run into the same problems? And have any of you found a reliable source?