View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 03:18 PM
roguequilter

my way ..
...i don't wash all new fabric that comes in. the sizing on new fabric is to protect & shield the fabric until ready for use.
...i also have lots of yardage and large scraps from yard & estate sales. if musty or whatever i wash, smooth and fold. before adding it to fabric i already have.
...nothing is ironed until i need it for a project. i think heat can damage fabric fibers and limit ironing only until it's needed.
...large pieces are folded selvadge to selvedge, then in half lengthwise to selvedge again, then end to end till its about 12" or so wide. this fits on most bookshelf depth shelves.
...my current fabric archive is kept ..yardage in closet with doors closed.
..fq's, scraps etc are folded and kept in underbed flat plastic boxes. easier to dig in.
...i sort by ..florals
..era ie- 1800's, 30's, vintage
..solids
..stripes, dots, pindots, batik ..and other odds & ends are stored seperately in bins --i never buy yardage in any of these except for a few nice/interesting stripes.
...in my last home i used a spare bedroom for my sewing room. i noticed after a couple of years that there was fading on the folds of the fabric on shelves. ambient overhead light, no sunlight ..so your room lighting can fade fabric. my solution was to hang sheets over the shelves of fabric. worked perfectly. no more fading. very seldom do i buy for a project. if i'm near a fabric store i shop by needs ..more small prints, more large florals, etc. then i 'shop' in my closet and plastic boxes for new or ongoing project. i have noticed over the years that all my purchase have tended to same/similar styles, subject & colors. the exceptions are things i get at estate sales or are given to me. which is good ..so now i can experiment and find that hmmm ..that green is perfect ..even tho i never would have bought it