View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 09:12 AM
ShirlinAZ

I had a short career (2 years post-retirement) designing kitchens for a big box store. I know exactly what you are talking about when you don't agree. I would not recommend cabinets made from a non-wood product, but there are many durable finishes available today for wood, and some of them include paint finishes. If you like a paint finish go for the least costly wood. Shaker style cabinets would be a good compromise to your "no ledges", though there is still one ledge near the bottom of each door. Some cabinet makers offer absolutely smooth doors. If you choose this I would recommend a high contrast between cabinet and countertop colors or the room could be really boring. Have you considered using a trash compactor instead of a garbage can? At least I think they are still available. I had them in 2 houses I lived in and they were wonderful as long as they weren't overloaded. Trash compactors have a foot lever to open them so your hands never have to touch the door. I am in a new house now with no compactor, and I like my trash at the end of the cabinet closest to the sink. In addition to not having to open a cabinet, it allows me to move the can closer to where I'm working when needed, like when I make a dozen loaves of banana bread. You could also consider leaving an open space between cabinets but under the countertop, which would reduce the visual impact of the garbage can, but still leave it accessible. My pennies worth, offered for free.