View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Suz

Default Looking for Input/Feedback

One of my church members has asked me to make a wallhanging from blocks her granddaughter created. The artwork is from first grade to present. She is 8 years old. (The church family is raising funds to pay down the mortgage on an addition - thus my quilting to raise funds.)

Today she brought me 15 blocks that are screen printed onto silk. Silk?? it may be poly, regardless it is freying like craxy. The artwork blocks are all different sizes with wide margins on all sides so I have some wiggle room when sizing. There are rectangles, squares, circles and one wide rectangle.

My thought is to determine the setting; serge at the cutting line before cutting. Use wide seams (3/4"). Owing to the "silky" fabric, do I sash or pipe the blocks? And what kind of fabric? Cotton? I don't want to detract from the artwork. therefore I would use something plain. I plan to pin, pin and pin when sandwiching the project. I haven't gotten to the thought of FMQ as yet. Guess it will depent upon how the fabric responds to sewing. Another day!

Regarding the artwork. Like I said, it is from first grade to the present. I was absolutely amazed (should say blown away) at the quality of her talent and color choices and shading. The fine painting details are amazing, i.e., the back of the turtle, the lizard, the single flower. And like I said, she is only 8. She has some career ahead of her if she pursues art. Obviously, because it is original art, I cannot share her artwork w/you all.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Let me hear from you all, particularly those with experience in working w/silky fabric. Thank you.